Tuesday, October 13, 2020

A SALUTE TO THE MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS

A SALUTE TO THE MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS
IN PURSUIT OF THE TRUTH - HTTP://WWW.CINOPSBEGONE.COM - TUES. OCT. 13, 2020
 
THE GLORY OF AMERICA, FOREWARD BY BILL BRIGHT BY PETER MARSHALL & DAVID MANUEL
COPY 1999- A MINISTRY OF CAMPUS CRUSADE FOR CHRIST ( A CALENDAR)
 
1. October 10th:
    On this day in 1492, Christopher Columbus was at the edge of despair. They had been sailing west for 32 days -- and seen nothing. With the ship' crews on the verge of mutiny, the other two captains had extracted a promise from him: if they did not reach land in the next two days, they would turn back.
   
     Yet Columbus was convinced that God had called them to this mission and that He was with them. "I found our Lord well-disposed toward my heart's desire, and He gave me the spirit of intelligence for the task... Who doubts that this illumination was from the Holy Spirit? He, with marvelous rays of light, consoled me through the holy and sacred Scriptures... encouraging me to proceed."
 
2. October 11th:
      On this day in 1492, Christopher Columbus scanned the western horizon in vain. Until now, his faith in this voyage had never faltered, though kings and courtiers has scoffed, and wise men had called him a fool. Finally, Queen Isabella of Spain had caught his vision, and even the Pope had lauded his intent "to bear the light of Christ west to the heathen in undiscovered lands." In his journal, Columbus has written:
"It was the Lord who put into my mind --- I could feel His
hand upon - the fact that it would be possible to sail from
here to the Indies. All who heard of my project rejected it
with laughter, ridiculing me."
3. October 12th:
    At 2 am on this day in 1492, the day on which they were to give up, the lookout aboard the Santa Maria cried out, "Tierra! Tierra!" An exhausted Columbus was barely able to make out the low silhouette in the darkness. Naming the island San Salvador (Holy Savior), he would write:
 
"I am a most unworthy sinner, but I have cried out to the Lord
for grace and mercy, and they have covered me completely. I have
found he sweetest consolation since I made it my whole purpose
to enjoy His marvelous presence ... No one should fear to under-
take any task in the name of our Savior, if it is just, and if the 
intention is purely for His holy service."
4. October 13th:
   Christopher Columbus was the greatest navigator of his age, uniquely gifted to fulfill his calling as Christ-bearer. He was called to bear the Light of Christ west to Cathay and the Indies. But he allowed himself to be diverted from his call by the temptation to rule over what he had discovered. His governing of the Caribbean was a disaster. Yet even there, he could hear the Lord:
 
"My hope in the One who created us all sustains me: He is
an ever present help in trouble ... When I was extremely
depressed, He raised me with His right hand, saying, 'O man
of little faith, get up. It is I: do not be afraid."
George H. Kubeck

  

No comments: