Monday, October 22, 2007

Report # 7 on David Carlin's Book

Report # 7 on David Carlin’s Book
Can a Catholic Be a Democrat?
Monday, Oct. 22, 2007
We continue with our purpose to understand the mind and heart of David Carlin. I hope it will not take me eleven months to complete. This is what happened to Report Card on Bill Press’s book, How the Republicans Stole Christmas, 23 articles from Sat. Nov. 26th, 2005 to Friday, Sept. 8, 2006. It is from Bill’s book that I discovered the mind and heart of a Catholic-in-name-only politician. We have in the CINOP the biggest religious con operation in U.S. history. Check the articles on Cinops Be Gone or wwwcinopsbegone.blogspot.com/
Chapter 2 – The Great Transformation, Part 2: Rise of the Ideologues

“I (David Carlin) had no sympathy for the old boss-led political machines, and so I naturally joined with the reformers. Eventually, as it turned out, I also lost all sympathy with the reformers, who today dominate the Democratic Party…. I was a great fan of President Johnson. I saw in him as a kind of second coming of Franklin Roosevelt, in that from the time of his first State of the Union Address in 1964, he made it clear that he intended to use the immense power of the federal government to improve the life conditions of those at the lower end of America’s socioeconomic ladder…. 35-36
“How could I, with my old-school Democratic (and Catholic) social conscience, not admire LBJ? And so, when he decided to go into Vietnam in a big way in 1965, I was more than ready to give him the benefit of the doubt…. 36
“I came to see that North Vietnam was not part of a monolithic Communist empire. Its Communism was home grown – like Yugoslavia’s … Hence, a Communist victory in the South would be no great threat to the interest to the interests of the United States. 37 (A personal comment: We fought in Vietnam with one hand tied behind our backs because Communist Russia was funneling war supplies into Hanoi harbor freely and encouraging Vietnamese Communists to attack. Ghk)
“In those days (when I happened to be living in Boston teaching at a small Catholic women’s college), it was easy to meet young people who believed that the government of North Vietnam was “progressive” and the government of the United States just a little short of fascist. But I was not a member of the Jane Fonda brigade. My anti-Communist sentiments went back to the time when the cold war began in the late 1940’s – I was less than ten years old when I began absorbing patriotic anti-Red propaganda – and had only grown stronger over the years as I had become aware of the disastrous consequences of Communist ideas…. 38
“For not only was it a needless war, but it contributed mightily to the great American cultural revolution of the 1960’s and 1970’s – the essence of which (as I’ve argued elsewhere) was a generalized rebellion against authority. This Cultural Revolution, I contend, has served to elevate the place of secularism in American culture and to depress the place of Christianity and of Catholicism in particular. 39
The author states that he supported the anti-war candidate Sen. Eugene McCarthy (A Catholic) in the Democratic presidential primaries of 1968. Later Carlin voted for Humphrey. The McGovern Commission took the process out boss control for presidential nomination to delegates chosen by voters in the primaries.
“At the time, I thought of these people as the good guys: good government, anti-boss reformers who were bent on the benign task of making the party more democratic (small d)…. I didn’t realize that they harbored within themselves the potential for passionate commitments to abortion rights and same-sex marriage, and a deep hostility towards traditional Christianity.” 41 (to be continued)
George H. Kubeck, Duplicate and or translate into Spanish.

No comments: