Thursday, June 14, 2007

Flag Day - 2007

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE? Flag Day, 1999

A.) Winning The Cultural War (The Political Arena) by Charlton Heston to the Harvard Law School Forum, Feb. 16th, 1999.
… But disobedience means you must be willing to act, not just talk.
l.) When a mugger sues his elderly victim for defending herself … jam the switchboard of the district attorney’s office.
2.) When your university is pressured to lower standards until 80% of the students graduate with honors … choke the halls of the board of regents.
3.) When an eight year old boy pecks a girl’s cheek on the playground and gets hauled
into court for sexual harassment …march on that school and block its doorways.
4.) When someone you elected is seduced by political power and betrays you… petition them, oust them, banish them.
5.) When Time magazine’s cover portrays millennium nuts as deranged, crazy Christians holding a cross as it did last month …BOYCOTT their magazine and the products it advertises.
So that this nation may long endure, I urge you to follow in the hallowed footsteps of the great disobediences of history that freed exiles, founded religions, defeated tyrants, and yes, in the hands of an aroused rabble in arms a few great men, by God’s grace, built this country. If Dr. King were here, I think he would agree. Thank you.
B.)Testimony of Darrell Scott - Father of two victims of Columbine High School Shooting - Littleton, Colorado before the Subcommittee on Crime - House Judiciary Committee - U.S. House of Representatives, Thursday, May 27, 1999 2:00 P.M., 214l Rayburn House Office Bldg.
Since the dawn of creation there has been both good and evil in the heart of men and of women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence.
The death of my wonderful daughter Rachel Joy Scott, and deaths of that heroic teacher and the other children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers….
In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don’t believe they are responsible for my daughter’s death. There I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed that they had anything to do with Rachel’s murder, I would be their strongest opponent.
I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just tragedy - IT WAS A SPIRITUAL EVENT that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! MUCH OF THE BLAME LIES HERE IN THIS ROOM. MUCH OF THAT BLAME LIES BEHIND THE POINTING FINGERS OF THE ACCUSERS THEMSELVES.
I wrote a poem just four nights ago that express my feelings best. This was written before I knew I would be speaking here today.
Your laws ignore our deepest needs. Now gunshots fill our classrooms.
Your words are empty air. And precious children die.
You’ve stripped away our heritage. You seek for answers everywhere.
You’ve outlawed simple prayer. And ask the question “Why”?

… this nation was founded on the principle You regulate restrictive laws.
of simple trust in God. As my son Craig lay under that Through legislative creed.
table in the school library and saw his two friends And yet fail to understand
murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to That God is what we need!
pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him C.) Alan Keyes, KPLS, AM 830,
that right….prayer was brought back to our schools… Talk Radio. M-F. 6 – 9 A.M., L.A.
George H. Kubeck, Appropriate for today. Duplicate and translate into Spanish.

No comments: