Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Report # 4 on David Carlin’s Book
Can a Catholic Be a Democrat?
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
This author has something to say and not say something. And it is very important. I believe he means what he says and says what he means. Let us speak out his own words from the Introduction, How I Lost My Faith (in the Democratic Party).
“I am not certain when it first dawned on me that the Democratic Party had transformed itself into the pro-abortion party. But I think it was early in the 1984 presidential campaign. Ronald Reagan was president….
“At that time I was a Democratic member of the Rhode Island Senate, having been elected in 1980. I was pro-life, as were most of my Democratic colleagues in the Rhode Island legislature; at that time there was nothing unusual about this….
“I was a Catholic, and so I had the usual Catholic reasons for being opposed to abortion. I was also a philosopher – I had spent three years in the early sixties as a graduate student in philosophy at Notre Dame, and since that time I had been a college philosophy teacher - …
“My state and local parties were not pro-abortion parties, and almost all of my political activity was at the state and local levels….
“I was born in 1938 (the year of Munich, the year of the great New England hurricane), the oldest of three children in a working class family in Pawtucket, R.I….
“And my family was Democratic. They weren’t directly involved in politics, but they voted for Democrats – especially for the greatest Democrat of them all, F.D.R….
My father directly benefited from a number of FDR programs….
“I couldn’t have been more than eight or nine. We’re Democrats, he told me, because the Democrats are the party of the poor people, the Republicans are the party of the rich and our family was poor….
“In 1989 I became the Senate Majority Leader, the highest position in the Senate …. Three years later … I ran as a pro-life Democrat against a pro-choice Republican incumbent who overwhelmingly outspent me, (lost) … I was less than a great fan of Clinton. In fact, that summer I wrote an op-ed piece that appeared in the New York Times, criticizing the Democratic National Convention … for its refusal to allow Bob Casey, the pro-life governor of Pennsylvania, to give an address….
“In the early eighties, I got into the habit of writing political essays and submitting them to national magazines, especially two Catholic publications: Commonweal and the Jesuit journal America.,,,
“I can’t remember when exactly, but sometimes rather late in my Commonweal career I began writing about the abortion movement and the gay movement together, and for good measure the euthanasia movement. I called these three the unholy trinity of the contemporary secularism. …
“My career at Commonweal would come to an end in 1997, when I received a letter from the editor informing me that my column was being discontinued….
“Before long I came to see a link between the unholy trinity secularism and the national Democratic Party, from which I was becoming estranged, and there it took only a few more logical steps to arrive at the conclusions that I will argue for in the course of this book. For it had become plain to me that the Democratic Party whose agenda now strongly supported abortion-on-demand, increasingly endorsed the goals of the gay movement, including same-sex marriage, and was showing signs of growing support of euthanasia, had come under control of forces utterly opposed to all traditional Christianity and Catholicism in particular….”

George H. Kubeck, Duplicate and or translate into Spanish.

No comments: